The Leadership Academy is designed to prepare California’s public leaders to lead organizations in complex, highly-charged political environments. In addition, the program provides public agencies with the means to meet their succession planning goals through the professional development of their managers. The program is comprised of four two-day modules over the course of eight months. A unique element of the program is the requirement for participants to complete a major work-related project under the guidance of a sponsor from their home organization.
Upon successful completion of the program, participants will be able to
- Demonstrate high levels of public service commitment, personal integrity, and continuous learning;
- Effectively align resources and lead people to accomplish goals;
- Practice results-driven management;
- Lead agency processes to establish goals, measure and report on performance and outcomes, and act as effective change agents;
- Meet organizational goals through effective planning;
- Participate in a network of public leaders and managers as members of the American Academy of Certified Public Managers (AACPM).
Prerequisite: Successful completion of the Public Management Academy is recommended to participate in the Leadership Academy.
- Community Building
- Goal Setting
- Strategic Management
- Outcome-Based Performance Measurement
- Navigating the Political Landscape
- Emotional Intelligence
- Strengths-Based Leadership
- Public Sector Facilitation
- Process Mapping
- Performance Improvement
- Powerhouse Presentations
- Trends in Leadership
- Sustaining Trust
- Time and Energy Management
- Power of Moments